I have been hooked on this breakfast for a few months now and experience the slightest bit of anxiety at the thought of one day reaching a burn out point.
Considering that cereal was suitable for any and every meal for much of my twenties, I have high hopes in my ability to stay faithfully in love with one really great dish.
- Kale (I use at least 1.5 cups but feel free to adjust by preference)
- Thai Dragon Salt (this is a blend from my farmer’s market; coarsely ground salt with red pepper flakes will produce a similar taste)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Pasture Raised Eggs
- Black Pepper
- Sauerkraut, Kimchi, or any other fermented veggies
Saute Kale with olive oil and salt. I love kale varieties with deep ruffles because they provide great texture and crunch but all varieties are great. Toss kale in a breakfast bowl when done and then crack your eggs into the same pan (there should be enough oil left behind to keep them from sticking).
Sprinkle turmeric and black pepper over the eggs. I am liberal with turmeric and add the black pepper to enhance the absorption of the turmeric. You may notice that the eggs turn a bright red where the turmeric is sprinkled, I have no explanation for this however, turmeric turns other foods fluorescent yellow so there must be some interesting reaction happening. While the eggs are cooking I add avocado and fermented veggies to my kale breakfast bowl. I flip the eggs just long enough to cook the whites, I love a runny yolk mixing with the contents of my bowl.
This recipe can be adapted for personal preference in a variety of ways (a scramble would be quicker but I can’t seem to part from my soft yolks). You can also swap kale for any other veggie you prefer, in the summer I tend to have a plethora of zucchini so most meals end up with some version of squash.
* All ingredients are organic**and preferably local
**non-GMO and have not been sprayed, buy from farmers you trust whether they have a piece of paper proving certification or not.
Food Used in this Post:
- Eggs Picture 1: Rockside Ranch, Scott Valley, CA
- Eggs Picture 2: Cowgirl Eggs, Orland, CA.
- Sauerkraut: Salt and Savour, Dunsmuir, CA